Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Teaching Company courses

Regular readers of TEE know that I am a fan of the Teaching Company. Earlier I finished Jeffrey Kasser's lovely Philosophy of Science on video. At present, I am in the middle of a video course called Human Prehistory and the First Civilizations taught by UCSB's Brian Fagan. It is a super course with global sweep (good coverage of Asia, Africa, and the Americas in addition to the usual European & ancient civilization coverage). For my driving pleasure, I just finished Michael Sugrue's (Princeton) Plato, Socrates, and the Dialogues on audio. The cast of characters in the dialogs is large, and a good guide to the inside ball is essential. Sugrue's course does the trick. I usually peruse the courses on sale (here). Next up on audio, Doctors: The History of Scientific Medicine Revealed through Biography. Specifically, I'm interested in analogies to the engineering profession in the history of the medical profession.

No comments: